With over 500 million users, LinkedIn is far and away the largest professional social media platform. The great thing about being part of a network that boasts over 500 million active users is the almost limitless possibility of connection that accompanies a number like that. At the same time, it’s also what makes being on LinkedIn not so great: it’s hard to feel like you’re standing out among the crowd. And, if you’re looking to utilize LinkedIn to expand your network, generate more leads, make professional contacts, expand your business, or even if you’re just looking to join someone else’s business, you’ll need to optimize your profile to make sure the right people are finding you.
Just like you optimize a website to generate more hits on search engines, your LinkedIn profile generally operates the same way. With that in mind, here are six simple ways to get more views on your LinkedIn profile:
- Make a custom URL. Change out that clunky URL and create one that actually lets people know that it’s your LinkedIn page. You can do change this through clicking “Me”, viewing your profile, then selecting “Edit public profile and URL.” It’s a good idea to use your first and last name as your custom URL, and if that’s not available, try adding your middle name or different initials to find a combination that isn’t already taken. When you’ve made your custom URL, include it in your email signature and any social media platforms you use to immediately boost your profile’s visibility.
- Update your summary to explain exactly what you do. Don’t simply fill this space with generalities and broad overviews. Be specific in telling the story of your professional career and give others insight into what you’ve accomplished and how you’ve gotten there. The people who view your profile should be able to use that summary to get an accurate perception about who you are and what you’ve done since entering the work force. As you write your summary, use specific keywords that will ping search engines, boosting your overall visibility. By being specific about what you do (and what you’ve done) you’ll increase the chances of being seen by others in your same field.
- Fill out your profile completely. Duh, right? But, you’d be surprised to find out how many people forego this step. If you’re one of those who just filled in the important stuff, I’m here to tell you that it’s all important. Why? Filling out your entire profile (even the small stuff) boosts your potential connections to other people and raises your visibility on search engines. Be sure to fill it all in and don’t forget to use important, specific keywords when you do.
- Give and ask for more recommendations. Remember the phrase your mom used to tell you, “If you want a friend you have to be a friend?” The same can be true of recommendations. While it certainly never hurts to just ask for recommendations from those you’ve done business with or have worked for, you can bet if you start by giving people a genuine recommendation first, it will be easy for them to return the favor when asked. The more recommendations you have the higher you’ll rank and the more visible your profile will be. Plus, who doesn’t like being recommended?
- Add media to your profile. This step all depends on the kind of work you do and using your content and driving people’s attention to that work through showcasing that content. If you’ve written an eBook, create a click-through image that leads people to downloading that eBook. If you’ve got video content that highlights your portfolio or creatively communicates your resume, go for it! Because, just like in traditional social media marketing, if your profile contains media it is far more likely to draw interest and increase your ranking on LinkedIn. Oh, and while we’re on the topic of media, make sure your profile picture is professional, recognizable, and recent.
- Post content, share articles, and give helpful tips in your statuses. Make following you on LinkedIn worthwhile through posting content that enriches and benefits those who follow you. It’s no secret that sharing quality content will drive more attention to your page, especially if that content is highly engaging. But more than just garnering more attention, by posting helpful content you’re setting yourself up as an expert in the field you work in, giving you credibility and raising your overall visibility.
If you’re looking to stand out beyond just LinkedIn, Beefy Marketing can help you with that. Talk with our marketing specialists today at (281) 516-8122